Saturday, July 15, 2017

Review: Skulduggery Pleasant

924062 Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stephanie's uncle Gordon is a writer of horror fiction. But when he dies and leaves her his estate, Stephanie learns that while he may have written horror, it certainly wasn't fiction. Pursued by evil forces intent on recovering a mysterious key, Stephanie finds help from an unusual source - the wisecracking skeleton of a dead wizard.
















I put off reading this last year because I didn't think I would like reading about a skeleton main-character...Boy was I wrong! I love Skulduggery and his ragtag team of misfits! The characters are fun and surprising, action is exciting, and magic is...fun! I really enjoyed this one, and already have the next one on hold at the library!


As I mentioned, I wasn't the biggest fan of this cover, and even the name didn't interest me until I read the synopsis, but after finding out a little more about this book, I knew I had to try it! Not that I've started this series, I really like the name, and think the covers are very fitting, if a little...intimidating haha.

I loved the writing style, and will definitely be reading more of this series! The plot was interesting, and well handled, and I enjoyed that the war of good vs. evil was not black and white, but various shade of gray! Each of the characters had history, and a past that was revealed in bits at the story goes on, and I loved the twists and turns they took reaching the end of the book! I loved all of Skulduggery's friends, but even they surprised me more often than not! The 'bad guy' was the most predictable of the bunch, and while I love an interesting villain, I also enjoyed seeing the good guys come up with clever ways to stop his many evil plans, and how they handled failures when those plans didn't turn out right!

I also enjoyed the mystery/detective side, and while I wish that played a larger role in the story, I enjoyed that there was still plenty of action and magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment