Thursday, July 6, 2017

Review: Girl in Disguise

29946121 Girl in Disguise by Greer Macallister
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blurb: For the first female Pinkerton detective, respect is hard to come by. Danger, however, is not.

In the tumultuous years of the Civil War, the streets of Chicago offer a woman mostly danger and ruin-unless that woman is Kate Warne, the first female Pinkerton detective and a desperate widow with a knack for manipulation.

Descending into undercover operations, Kate is able to infiltrate the seedy side of the city in ways her fellow detectives can't. She's a seductress, an exotic foreign medium, or a rich train passenger, all depending on the day and the robber, thief, or murderer she's been assigned to nab.

Inspired by the real story of Kate Warne, this spirited novel follows the detective's rise during one of the nation's greatest times of crisis, bringing to life a fiercely independent woman whose forgotten triumphs helped sway the fate of the country.




I grabbed this one on a whim, the cover caught my eye, and it was on the 'New' shelf at the library, so I decided, 'Why not?' Boy am I glad it did! I don't read historical fiction often, but have always loved a good detective story, and enjoy Sherlock retellings, so the idea of a story based of f the life of the first real female detective? I'm listening!

This one, like most historical fiction, has a much slower pace than I'm used to, but in this case, that's one of the big things I loved about this book! Had things happened any faster, it would have taken away from the enjoyment when things finally 'hit the fan' which I expected would happen at some point. I loved the characters, and while the plot is mostly filled by following Kate on her various assignments, it all weaves together to produce a bitter-sweet, and highly satisfying ending! I highly recommend this book to any historical fiction or female detective fans!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment